Baltimore Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
When pedestrians are struck by motor vehicles, they sustain some of the most serious injuries. Tragically, some pedestrians do not survive the accident. There are many laws pertaining to pedestrians and while many individuals on foot think that a motorist is always at fault when they hit a pedestrian, that is not always the case. In some instances, a pedestrian can be found partially or wholly at fault for a crash and when that is the case, they are barred from receiving any compensation at all.
It is important that all pedestrians and motorists understand the pedestrian laws within the state. Any pedestrian that is hit and suffers serious injuries should also speak to a Baltimore pedestrian accident lawyer that can help them claim the compensation they need.
Responsibilities of Motorists in Maryland
There are many laws pertaining to the responsibilities of motorists in Maryland. These include:
- Stopping when a pedestrian is in a crosswalk or intersection and in the half of the roadway the vehicle is traveling,
- Stopping when a pedestrian is approaching half of the roadway in which the vehicle is traveling
- Yield right-of-way when making a right turn and there is a pedestrian in the crosswalk, regardless of whether the driver has a red or green or light
When motorists do not follow these laws and a pedestrian becomes hurt as a result, injured individuals can hold them liable for paying compensation.
Responsibilities of Pedestrians in Maryland
It is important that pedestrians follow the many laws regarding individuals on foot in Maryland. These include:
- Using marked crosswalks and intersections when possible
- Looking both ways before the crossing the street and not darting out in front of traffic
- Complying with pedestrian signals, including “walk” and “stop”
In addition to these laws, pedestrians can also help keep themselves safe by wearing visible clothing when walking at night or in inclement weather, and by paying attention to vehicles in parking lots and driveways that may be backing up.
Recovering Damages After a Pedestrian Accident
When pedestrians are injured in an accident, they can pursue a claim against the at-fault driver to claim damages, which are the losses they sustained as a result of the crash. The most common forms of damages included in pedestrian accident claims are:
- Current and future medical costs, including prescription costs, therapy, and rehabilitative expenses
- Property damage
- Current and future lost wages, including lost benefits and bonuses
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
When claiming these damages, it is extremely important to work with an attorney that can protect your rights. The insurance company of the at-fault driver will try many tactics to avoid paying you the compensation you deserve and a lawyer will ensure they do not get away with them.
Our Baltimore Pedestrian Accident Lawyers Can Help You Claim the Settlement You Deserve
Pedestrian accidents leave victims with serious injuries that are not only painful and expensive to treat, but also life-changing. If you have been hurt in an accident, our Baltimore pedestrian accident lawyers can help. We will investigate the crash to collect evidence to substantiate your claim and hold the liable motorist and their insurance company responsible for paying the settlement you deserve. Call us today at (410) 779-6160 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation with one of our attorneys.